Emergency Claim Events
Please see below for current and past catastrophes in our main trading area. These links will provide up-to-date information, instruction, and FAQ’s. During mass-claim situations, please be patient. Although your insurance company is doing its best, resources are strained in these scenarios. Wait and call-back times are usually longer than during normal periods.
Types of Losses, Event and Information
We have access to various sources of information that may help in the case of emergency and/or in preparation for such emergencies.
Planning ahead is your best protection. Review the information below.
1. Windstorm and Tornado – Damage to homes caused by hail or wind is generally covered by a standard homeowners insurance policy. This includes damage caused by flying debris or falling branches. This would also generally include damage to your home and its contents when water enters through openings as a result of wind or hail damage.
2. Water and Flood – Most basic home insurance policies typically cover water damage caused from within the home, such as a burst pipe, but NOT for floods caused by water coming from outside like sewer backup, pump failure, and overland flooding. Coverage is available, check your policy to see if you have it, or contact your insurance broker if you would like it added.
- Does Insurance Cover Flooding? Is it Considered an Act of God?
- Flood Forecasting and Warning Program
- Government of Ontario Flood info page
- Protect Your Home from Basement Flooding
- Basement Flooding Infographic
- Focus on Flood Mapping in Canada
- Focus on Backwater Valves
- Focus on Sump Pump Systems
- Intact Centre on Climate Adaptation – Home Flood Protection Program
- Ahead of the Storm – Developing Flood- Resilience Guidance for Canada’s Commercial Real Estate
3. Snow and Ice
- Protect Your Home from Hail
- Hail Infographic
- Protect your home from Snow & Ice Storms
- Snow & Ice Storms Infographic
4. Earthquakes – It’s a common misconception that basic home insurance covers earthquakes, when in fact it’s only available as an add-on.
5. Miscellaneous and Other